Please select your location and preferred language where available.
Kioxia Corporation Debuts UFS Ver. 3.1 Embedded Flash Memory Devices
Delivers Significant Performance Boost to 5G Applications – and Beyond
- February 27, 2020
- Kioxia Corporation
Tokyo – Further cementing its position as a leading provider of storage for next-gen mobile devices, Kioxia Corporation today announced that it has started sampling Universal Flash Storage (UFS) Ver. 3.1 embedded flash memory devices. Well suited for mobile applications including 5G networks requiring high-performance with low power consumption, the new line-up utilizes Kioxia’s cutting-edge BiCS FLASH™ 3D flash memory and is supported in four capacities: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB.
The new devices integrate BiCS FLASH 3D flash memory and a controller in a JEDEC-standard 11.5 x 13mm package. The controller performs error correction, wear leveling, logical-to-physical address translation, and bad-block management for simplified system development.
The newest offerings enable next-gen mobile devices to take full advantage of the connectivity benefits of 5G.
All four devices include the following features:
- WriteBooster *:Enables significantly faster write speeds by approximately 2 to 3 times than the normal write performance.
- Sequential Read performance: Improved by approximately 30% over Kioxia’s existing Ver. 3.0 product.
- Host Performance Booster (HPB) Ver. 1.0 (defined as an extension spec): Improves random read performance by utilizing the host side memory.
- UFS-DeepSleep Power Mode*: Achieves power consumption reduction in sleep mode compared to the existing UFS-Sleep Power Mode.
- Performance Throttling Event Notification: The UFS may throttle performance if the internal temperature reaches its upper limit, to avoid overheating and damage to the internal device circuits.
- : New spec from JEDEC Ver. 3.1
 Sample shipments of the 256GB device are available now with the rest of the line-up to gradually follow after March. Specification of the samples may differ from that of commercial products.
 Universal Flash Storage (UFS) is a product category for a class of embedded memory products built to the JEDEC UFS standard specification. JEDEC is a registered trademark of JEDEC Solid State Technology Association.
 In every mention of a Kioxia product: Product density is identified based on the density of memory chip(s) within the Product, not the amount of memory capacity available for data storage by the end user. Consumer-usable capacity will be less due to overhead data areas, formatting, bad blocks, and other constraints, and may also vary based on the host device and application. For details, please refer to applicable product specifications.
- Company names, product names and service names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
Memory Sales & Marketing Division
Information in this document, including product prices and specifications, content of services and contact information, is correct on the date of the announcement but is subject to change without prior notice.